A friction hinge operates by establishing a predetermined tolerance between the mechanical parts. A special kind of hinge known as a frictional hinge features smooth motion and angle retention. It operates on the idea of torque, which may be produced by exerting a specific force. Read More…
Marlboro Manufacturing, Inc.Alliance, OH | 330-935-2445
We take our customer evaluations as our only measure of success. If our customers are not happy, we are not happy! We will work with you until we find the right hinges solution for you.$$$
Jefco ManufacturingFort Lauderdale, FL | 800-684-4643
Jefco Mfg. has been a leader in the industry for over 40 years. With our experienced engineering and production team coupled with cutting edge technology, Jefco produces quality products for the Industrial, Marine, Aerospace, Defense, and Medical industries. We work closely with customers to meet/exceed their needs and design specs. Jefco has the ability to produce practically any design in any...$$$
S & D Products, Inc.Bartlett, IL | 800-989-6365
We are here to provide you with any hinge you could ever possibly need! We are the hinge specialists committed to bringing you a level of customer service that is unmatched by the competition.$$$
Hardware Mfg.St. Louis, MO | 314-436-0432
Hardware Mfg. supplies stock inventory parts in addition to creating custom components for OEM and resellers. We work with a number of different industries such as agriculture, drug tablet, livestock, truck equipment, conveyors, and more.$$$
S & S Hinge CompanyBloomingdale, IL | 800-332-1227
Since 1932, the S & S Hinge Company has been providing customers with the best-quality continuous hinges possible. We have accomplished this by implementing a Lean manufacturing strategy that allows our company to do more with less.$$$
Sierra Pacific Engineering & Products (SPEP)Long Beach, CA | 800-433-5554
Our company is the true hinges expert. We own over 50 patents for fasteners and we are completely ISO 9000 certified. Our products are made with the customer in mind, and we take your requests as requirements for service.$$$
Friction Hinges Manufacturers List
Torque is a unit of measurement for the force needed to spin an object. Friction is created in these hinges by additional modifications like springs or lubricants.
Doors and windows have friction hinges on both sides, and force is exerted when they are opened or closed. These hinges are made to open or close partially and stay in a specific position for a specified time. Friction hinges can be tailored to a person's specific requirements. They can be customized as one-way hinges, which only have resistance on one side, or two-way hinges, which allow for damping on either side. The tailored designs can provide variables in viscosity, temperature tolerance, and resistance capabilities.
Features of a Friction Hinge
The hinge must have the correct torque for the application to function.
The hinge's effectiveness affects the package's size. A tiny container will provide the product's design with greater freedom.
The number of times the hinge will open or close is based on how long the application is anticipated to last.
Dynamic torque is the hinge's resistance as it rotates.
Monitoring the resistance needed to initiate the hinge rotation is crucial.
Additional features include the spring back feature, free play, aesthetic appeal, environmental conditions, and custom designs.
Types of Friction Hinges
Depending on how they are used, friction hinges can be classified into three primary categories:
Friction Stay Hinge
Variable friction stay hinges are used to open and close windows securely and safely. The three subtypes of friction stay hinges are the standard friction stay hinge, the restricted friction stay hinge, and the easy clean friction stay hinge.
Side Hung Friction Hinge
When a window is opened, side hung friction hinges are made to resemble a door opening.
Top Hung Friction Hinges
These hinges are used in windows with handles positioned at the bottom.
Certain materials are employed in its construction depending on how the hinge will be utilized. The following are the areas of emphasis:
- Fabrication skills
- Physical characteristics
- Corrosion protection
- Mechanical toughness
- External components
Which material is ideal for the application depends on these variables: Stainless steel, aluminum material, stainless 316 steel, steel hinges, cold- and hot-rolled steel, galvanized steel, brass alloy, 18-8 stainless steel, titanium material, and copper material are typical materials used in the manufacturing of hinges.
Working of Friction Hinges
- The precise tolerances between the mechanical parts are engineered to provide friction hinges for their desired function.
- Extra material, such as springs and lubricant, is sometimes used to produce the necessary resistance level or dampen the hinge action.
- Sometimes, the intention is for the thing on the hinge to close entirely and swiftly. Others employ torque to hold one or both of the items the hinges are attached to in a certain orientation, rather than only in the completely open or closed state.
- They are made to move by force with a precise amount of torque greater than their rated torque when employed to keep one of the pivoting components in place.
Applications of Friction Hinges
- They are most often used in doors and windows because they allow the hinge much flexibility without compromising its strength.
- Lateral forces can be resisted using frictional hinges. They could be very useful in loading docks and other locations where a doorway sees a steady flow of people.
- Adjustable laptop displays, movable automobile sun visors, portable DVD player screens, and a variety of other hinged, planar objects would be worthless without them.
- A laptop should not use continuous or simple butt hinges since they would cause the lid to slam shut unless they were supported in some way. Frictional hinges must thus be used.
Benefits of Friction Hinges
- Because the exterior rubber strip does not need to be broken, the window's seal is improved.
- The window's maximum opening angle can be controlled. A second arm must be attached to the hinge to adjust the opening angle.
- When the friction hinge is opened, there is space to clean the window from within the room, removing the possibility of someone slipping out.
- Friction hinges are more wind pressure-resistant than hinge hinges, which require wind bracing to maintain wind pressure resistance.
- They are comparatively inexpensive and a less expensive option that does the same task.
Choosing the Correct Friction Hinge Supplier
To ensure you have the most positive outcome when purchasing friction hinges from a friction hinge supplier, it is important to compare several companies using our directory of friction hinge suppliers. Each friction hinge supplier has a business profile page highlighting their areas of experience and capabilities, along with a contact form to directly communicate with the supplier for more information or request a quote. Review each friction hinge business website using our proprietary website previewer to quickly learn what each company specializes in. Then, use our simple RFQ form to contact multiple friction hinge companies with the same form.